What is the Dolly Parton Imagination Library?
Dolly Parton Imagination Library is a program that Dolly Parton developed in 1995, so that every preschool child would have their own library books; and encourages a love of reading and learning. This program provides a new book each month from the day the child is born until his/her fourth birthday. The program was founded on these three essential beliefs:
- The books are a GIFT to children, not a social service or charity.
- These books are for ALL children in a community, so no child is left out or singled out.
- The books are mailed in the child’s name to his/her home to generate excitement, promote ownership, and deliver them with dignity.
Who is eligible?
Children birth to three (until their fourth birthday) that live in the Montcalm Area Intermediate School District; including the following school districts: Carson City- Crystal, Central Montcalm, Greenville, Lakeview, Montabella, Tri County, and Vestaburg.
What is the Goal for Great Start of Montcalm County?
Great Start of Montcalm County, an organization that advocates for young children in Montcalm County, works to promote a great start for every child…healthy, safe, eager and prepared to suceed in school and life. Our goal is to provide literacy tools for children up to the age three. More than any other skill, the ability to read helps a child to succeed in schools, function in society and have more employment options in the future. Parents are a child’s first and best teacher; therefore providing tools to parents to encourage literacy is critical.
What is the process for enrolling my child?
Enrollment forms are located in local schools, libraries, community organizations, local hospitals, and online by clicking here for an enrollment form. Once the form is complete and mailed back to the Montcalm Area ISD, the child’s information will be entered into the Dolly Parton Imagination Library database. On the 10th of every month the names are pulled by the Dolly Parton Foundation and the books are mailed from Tennessee. It takes approximately 6-8 weeks, for the first book to arrive at the child’s home! The month the child turns four, they will receive their last book. You can also enroll online now by clicking here.
How much does this cost?
This program is FREE to any child that lives in the following school districts: Carson City- Crystal, Central Montcalm, Greenville, Lakeview, Montabella, Tri County, and Vestaburg.
To run this program the cost is approximately $27.00 per year to provide a child with a book each month. If a child were to participate from birth, they would have a complete home library of 48 books, by the time they have turned four, at a very low cost of only $108.00. It will take approximately $106,000 annually for every age eligible child to participate in the program. Fund-raising will be a continual need for this program. This program is a great value for any parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle. If you would like to sponsor a child, please consider making the tax-deductible donation of $27.00. Please make a check payable to MASID-DOLLY DPIL and mail to: Great Start, Mindy Train, PO Box 367, Stanton, MI 48888. Make sure you provide your name and address as all donations are tax-deductible! If you are unable to make a contribution, please do not let that stop you from enrolling your child.
To learn more about the Dolly Parton Imagination Library go to www.imaginationlibrary.com.
Would you like to make a memorial contribution to the Dolly Parton Imagination Library? MEMORIAL CONTRIBUTION FORM
Business and Organizations that have contributed to the Montcalm County Dolly Parton Imagination Library Program:
- Bowen Insulation, 2012
- Carson City Correction Facility Boyer Club, 2014-2016
- Central Montcalm Community Foundation, 2013, 2015, 2016
- Crystal Lions Club, 2013
- Danish Sisterhood Society, 2013
- Department of Health Human Services Montcalm County, 2014-2015
- Edmore Lions Club, 2013
- Edmore Women’s Club, 2013
- First United Methodist Church of Greenville, 2012
- Greenville Area Community Foundation, 2014-2016
- Greenville Family Dental, 2012
- Grenville Lions Club, 2014-2015
- Greenville Rotary, 2016
- Entrican Gleaners, 2015
- Isabella Bank, 2013-2014
- Lakeview Area Community Foundation, 2014
- L’Image Salon, 2012
- Montabella Community Schools, 2014-2016
- Michigan One Community Credit Union, 2013-2015
- Montcalm Area Intermediate School District, 2013-2016
- Montcalm Care Network, 2015
- Montcalm County Eight CAP, 2014-2016
- Montcalm County Great Start Collaborative, 2013-2016
- Montcalm County Mom Prom, 2015
- Montcalm County Panhandle Community Foundation, 2015-2016
- Montcalm County Treasure Republicans, 2013, 2015
- Sidney State Bank, 2012
- Stanton Lions Club, 2012, 2014
- Stanton Women’s Club, 2015
- Target Foundation, 2013
- Tri County Electric People Fund, 2015
- Turk Lake Restaurant and Bar, 2012, 2016
- United Way of Montcalm and Ionia County, 2013-2016
- Wells Photography, 2014
- Many Individual Sponsors, 2013-2016
For all other questions please contact: